Projects v BAU - Feedback Required
- Pre-course APMP Exam Questions That is good enough see you next week
- Weekend Homework for those preparing the the APMP: Describe five health and safety duties of a project manager? Below is a model answer no comments.
- Weekend Homework for those preparing the the APMP Exam: Describe five health and safety duties of a project manager? Health, Safety & Environment is a core duty of the project manager. Requirements are driven by corporate governance and legislation such as the...
List 5 characteristics of project and describe how each is different from BAU ?
- Projects have finite timescales whereas BAU continues termination.
- Projects have a finite budget whereas BAU continues through to termination
- Projects introduce step change whereas BAU changes are minor incremental changes
- Projects produce new products whereas BAU produce the same product repeatedly.
- Projects work from unique bespoke plans and risks wheras BAU work from highly proceduralised documentation
Projects have finite timescales. This is defined during the definition stage and have a planned implementation schedule which is part of the PMP and is baselined. BAU continues for the length of the life of the project until termination. An example is a power station for which the project is to build the power station and BAU is the operation of it until the end of its useful life until termination and disposal.
Projects have a finite budget which is defined during the definition stage, baselined and monitored. This is usually funded through capital expenditure. This is different to BAU which is usually funded through operational expenditure and continues for the life of the product.
Projects introduce step change. They are usually significant pieces of work which introduce step changes. This is different to BAU in which very small changes are implemented incrementally to avoid disruption to operational delivery. For example a manufacturing company introducing new machinery would need to be designed developed and testing before being introduced and integrated into the live operations to avoid impacting on live environment.
Projects produce unique products (e.g. prototype for a new washing machine) whereas BAU would be the production of the same washing machine repeatedly for the mass market.
Projects work from unique plans which have been developed specifically for the implementation of the deliverables defined in the PMP. The risks associated with developing something new can be considerable and must be managed. BAU however work from highly proceduralised documentation which only minor changes are implemented to ensure consistency and reliability of delivery.
Paul Naybour The examiners are looking for 2-3 sentences in each paragraph. Examples are a good way of demonstrating knowledge but sometimes you need to just say...The examiners are looking for 2-3 sentences in each paragraph. Examples are a good way of demonstrating knowledge but sometimes you need to just say a bit more. For example "Projects produce unique products (e.g. prototype for a new washing machine) whereas BAU would be the production of the same washing machine repeatedly for the mass market. So designing and launching the new washing machine is a project whereas manufacturing it is business as usual. Show more 1 year ago
You need to be a member of this group before you can participate in this discussion.