Blog Post Image

Explain the term Project –

Paul Naybour Paul Naybour

Published: 18th January 2013

Hi Paul & John,

First attempt on here after enroling on the distance learning course many moons ago, ive picked an easy one to break the ice, here it goes 🙂

A Project is a unique endeavor which is transient, it has a start and finish. Projects seek to deliver change to an exisiting status quo. A project has a quantified and measureable set of deliverables/ success criterias associated with it for which need to be acheived in order for the project to derive its benefits. These measureables should be documented within its PMP and include Time, Cost, Quality, Benefit and Risk objectives with an equal balance and understanding respectively to its equilibrium. A project has a defined buisness case to managa the change it aspires to deliver where its benfit can be realised by its stakeholders and end users way beyond its completion.

(So, this is my v. first attempt, is this sufficent for the answer in terms of quantitiy refering to the question asking to ”EXPLAIN”, im trying to gauge the amount i write, dont want to waffle and dont want to miss anything crucial to getting marks.) I can see time being quite precious!

1. Student says:

Ahh ok I see, so do you recommend I use examples Paul at every opertunity when im asked to ”explain” terms?

Thanks,

2. Paul says:

Hi not bad for a first go. You need to set it out like five points with examples. It would be like this

1) A Project is a unique endeavor which is transient, it has a start and finish. They are unlike on-going operations. For example building a new bridge is completed one the project is done, whereas running the trains continues every day.

2) Projects seek to deliver change to an exisiting status quo. Typically this might be a new product, or improved service. Whereas operations are on-going.

3) A project has a quantified and measureable set of deliverables/ success criterias associated with it for which need to be acheived in order for the project to derive its benefits. These measureables should be documented within its PMP and include Time, Cost, Quality, Benefit and Risk objectives with an equal balance and understanding respectively to its equilibrium.

5) A project has a defined buisness case to managa the change it aspires to deliver where its benfit can be realised by its stakeholders and end users way beyond its completion.

6) project are temporary and not permeant structures in the organisation. These presents challenges for the project manager establishing a temporary team and maintaining cohesion of this temporary team.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.