APM Project Professional Qualification APM PPQ
Ideal for project, programme or portfolio managers
5 days class room public
4 x 3-hour written exams
APM PMQ or equivalent
If you already work in the project management field then you will have heard of the suite of professionally recognised qualifications from the UK-based Association for Project Management (APM). These professional project management qualifications cover a range of different experience levels from the novice project manager up to those with many years' experience managing complex projects who can achieve Registered Project Professional (RPP) status.
Professional qualifications in any field can improve your career prospects and boost your salary and it is no different in the project management world where the right PM accreditation can open up new opportunities to advance your career. Many major organisations with a project-focused business model now require their project managers to be certified in addition to having the requisite experience and skills.
What is The APM Project Professional Qualification (PPQ)?
In 2016 the APM enhanced their suite of progressive qualifications with an additional qualification: APM Project Professional Qualification (APM PPQ). As with all the APM qualifications the APM PPQ incorporates a mix of tools, techniques, processes and skills that demonstrate candidates project management achievements, and the APM PPQ specifically assesses capability in delivering projects, programmes and portfolios.
It is an examination-based qualification that covers both general and specific capabilities that professionals require across all areas of project management. It sits as a new qualification at a higher level than the APM Project Management Qualification (APM PMQ) (formerly the APMP) and below the the assessment-based Practitioner Qualification (PQ) which remains as the APM's IPMA level C qualification.
APM PPQ Key Features
- It’s a developmental, examination-based qualification on the route to becoming a Registered Project Professional (RPP).
- It’s ideal for project professionals who have 3-5 years project experience.
- The examination papers are scenario based and last 3 hours each. Candidates get 30 minutes to read and digest the scenario before the examination starts
- It tests not just knowledge but the candidates’ application of that knowledge, and candidates’ are expected to answer using their own knowledge and experience applied to the scenario.
- There are three core modules, examined separately, which all candidates need to sit:
- a. Professionalism and managing others
- b. Planning and control
- c. Governance
- And three elective modules from which candidates need to choose one exam to sit:
- a. Project management
- b. Programme management
- c. Portfolio management
- Candidates need to pass four modules – three core and one elective to achieve the full qualification, and they can sit these in any order
- Each examination is made up of four questions worth a total of 25 marks each
- Successful candidates receive a Record of Achievement on completion of each individual module, and their full qualification certificate on passing all four modules
- Achieving the qualification entitles candidate to become a full member of APM (MAPM)
APM Project Professional Qualification APM PPQ
APM PPQ Learning Outcomes
Each of the 6 modules has specific learning outcomes for each examination.
Module 1: Professionalism and managing others
- 1. Promote the wider public good in all actions, and act in an ethically and legally appropriate manner in dealings with stakeholders and members of project teams and the organisation.
- 2. Develop and manage teams
- 3. Identify, address and resolve differences between individuals and/or interest groups
- 4. Empower and inspire others to deliver successful change initiatives
Module 2: Planning & Control
- 1. Identify and monitor risks (threats and opportunities), plan and implement responses to them, and respond to other issues that affect change initiatives
- 2. Prepare and maintain schedules for activities and events for change initiatives, taking account of dependencies and resource requirements
- 3. Develop, implement and update resource allocation plans (other than finance) for change initiatives, taking account of availabilities and scheduling
- 4. Develop and agree budgets for change initiatives, and control forecast and actual costs against budgets
- 5. Consolidate and document the fundamental components for change initiatives: scope; schedule; resource requirements; budgets; risks, opportunities and issues; and quality requirements
Module 3: Governance
- 1. Establish and maintain structures that define clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for the governance and delivery of change initiatives, and that align with organisational practice
- 2. Manage stakeholders, taking account of their differing levels of influence and of their particular interests
- 3. Establish and manage reviews, during and after change initiatives, which will inform governance of the change initiatives, by providing evaluations of progress, methodologies and continuing relevance
- 4. Establish protocols to alter change initiatives, implementing the protocols when necessary, and updating configuration documentation
- 5. Prepare, gain approval of, refine and update business cases that justify the initiation and/or continuation of change initiatives
Module 4: Project Management
- 1. Prepare and maintain definitions of the requirements of a project
- 2. Determine the most appropriate solution to satisfy requirements within the context of a project’s objectives and constraints
- 3. Secure the provision of resources needed for a project from internal and/or external providers
- 4. Agree contracts and statements of work for the provision of goods and/or services, monitor compliance, and manage variances
- 5. Develop, maintain and apply quality management processes for project activities and outputs
Module 5: Programme Management
- 1. Identify, define, evaluate, plan, track and realise the business benefits of change initiatives
- 2. Plan the integration of the outputs of a project or outcomes of a programme into business as usual, addressing the readiness of users, compatibility of work systems and the realisation of benefits
- 3. Plan and control the finances of related projects and business as usual activities in a programme, as a means of driving performance and as part of the organisation’s overall financial management
- 4. Prepare and maintain an overall schedule for resource use across projects in a programme, which avoids bottlenecks and conflicting demands, and which sequences outcomes in order to enable the efficient realisation of benefits
- 5. Evaluate frameworks and methodologies used to ensure that the management of programmes will be comprehensive and will be consistent across different projects
- 6. Ensure that information from related projects is valid through independent assurance, and that the programme is likely to achieve its aims
Module 6: Portfolio Management
- 1. Recommend how financial and other resources should be allocated amongst projects, programmes and business as usual activities in a portfolio
- 2. Ensure that information from related projects, programmes and business as usual activities in a portfolio is valid through independent assurance, and that the portfolio is likely to achieve its aims
- 3. Plan and control the finances of projects, programmes and business as usual activities in a portfolio as a means of driving performance and as part of the organisation’s overall financial management
- 4. Prepare and maintain an overall schedule for resource use in related change initiatives in a portfolio
- 5. Evaluate frameworks and methodologies used to ensure that the management of change initiatives will be comprehensive and will be consistent across a portfolio
Project management is a fast growing profession in which qualified project managers are much in demand and whatever stage you are in your PM career there is a qualification that will provide you with professional recognition of your skills and knowledge.
There are no upcoming events at this time.