Basically, a Project Management Framework is used to define roles, responsibilities and a common lifecycle that can be applied to all the projects pertaining to a single organization. But, why use Project Management Framework? There are 6 reasons, which also called the 6Cs of why Project Management Framework needs to be used:
• Capability; and
The following points explain these 6Cs in detail –
1. Consistency – Through a Project Management Framework, everything is consistent throughout the organization. It is true that the best planned projects can fall apart if there is a lack of planning. However, when project management is concerned, the work is half finished when consistency is brought into the picture. Because of Project Management Framework, the approach towards projects becomes consistent and therefore, it adds a lot of control and precision to its process and result. The methods of monitoring are consistent to all projects, and a greater amount of control can be exercised over milestones and deliverables related to the project.
2. Clarity – Confusion is the death of not just planning but organization and end result as well. Through Project Management Framework, the scope of the project is clear to everyone involved with it. Not just that, the members and participants know everything that is to come in the further stages. Because of lack of confusion and ambiguity regarding the project, the work runs much smoother and the results are better overall. There are no doubts or questions in anyone’s mind regarding any important or little aspect of the project because of Project Management Framework.
3. Collaboration – Since everyone is absolutely clear about the steps that would be taken in the project, the expected end result, the problems that might be encountered and the level of collaboration and understanding between participants is much better. Team members can collaborate with each other in a more effective manner since there is no scope for doubt or confusion in their minds regarding the project and its elements. Everyone’s basics are strong and clear, and that clarity leads to an effective collaboration for the project as a whole.
4. Continuity – As mentioned before, Project Management Framework enables all the projects in a single organization to follow the same approach. It not only improves the learning curve for new participants but it also strengthens the concepts of experienced members in the team. Thus, when one project successfully gets over and another begins, Project Management Framework adds a certain amount of continuity to this transition. And this is because all the projects are following the same framework and are going through the same process. There might be different demands, problems and requirements in different projects but they can all be streamlined because of Project Management Framework.
5. Capability – The best way to approach complex and complicated projects and processes is by breaking them into smaller, simpler and clearer tasks. When the organization moves on to bigger and more complicated processes, it is because of the training and mental clarity provided by Project Management Framework that they are able to handle even the most complicated of projects with relative ease. This improves the members’ and the organization’s overall capability to deliver better quality and more efficient results without putting in any substantial extra work. Their capabilities and talents can be used for the purposes they were meant to serve and are not allowed to go waste by worrying about trifles.
6. Communication – Perhaps, the biggest roadblock to any successful project is the lack of communication between team members. This is because everyone comes from a different background, department and also, intellectual levels vary. Their level of knowledge in general situations and the current project are different. But because of Project Management Framework, this roadblock is efficiently dealt with. Every member of the team is aware about why the project is being approached, what it entails and what the expected results are predicted to be. This improves the communication level in the team. And when communication is good, everything falls into place on its own.
Project Management Framework also lends a certain accuracy to project predictions, and this strengthens the 6Cs even more. Thus, even if unforeseen changes occur in the project, the team and its members are more than capable of handling them.